Mountainous Laos

 

 10 - 17 December 2022
Vientiane and Luang Prabang

My Butterflies of Laos photos 


During our week-long vacation in Laos, my husband and I were able to enjoy a much-needed break. The leisurely pace of the trip allowed me to indulge in my passion for observing butterflies.

After arriving in Vientiane, we spent our first day exploring various temples and museums. At Ho Phra Keo Museum, I had the pleasure of spotting a Clubtail butterfly. Unfortunately, it was quite difficult to capture a clear photo as the butterfly was constantly on the move and never stayed still enough to feed.



On the following day of our trip, we decided to visit the Buddha Park, located approximately 45 minutes away from Vientiane. We hired a driver to take us there. As usual, I was eagerly on the lookout for butterflies while my husband strolled around the park, enjoying the beautiful statues.

Although most of the butterflies I encountered were of the urban variety, I managed to capture a unique image of the Common Mime butterfly. Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity to photograph a Birdwing butterfly as it quickly flew away before I could snap a shot. Nonetheless, it was a good day with the butterfly sightings during our visit to the Buddha Park.


The Lime Butterfly feeding on the Lantana.

Saw a few of the Orange Tip, but they were skittish and very challenging with photos.



Our third day of the trip involved flying to Luang Prabang, which was a serene location with a pleasant night market and various eateries to enjoy. I was particularly excited about our upcoming visit to Kuang Si Waterfall, as I anticipated spotting some exotic butterflies in the area.

To get to the waterfall, we decided to take a tuk-tuk, which transported us to our destination in approximately 45 minutes. We arrived early, before the crowds, and were able to appreciate the natural beauty of the three-tiered cascading waterfall, which was truly breathtaking. The water was crystal clear and pristine, making it a perfect spot for swimming and relaxing.

 

After capturing photos of the waterfall and taking in the beautiful scenery, I shifted my focus to my search for butterflies along the forested area near the waterfall. As I scanned the area, I spotted numerous butterflies flying in and out of the sunny bushes. I managed to capture photos of a few, including the Common Castor butterfly, which were particularly abundant in the area.

To my delight, I also spotted a mating pair of Common Castor butterflies and was able to capture an unforgettable image of their intimate moment.

 


Common Posy which is different from the one in Singapore

 

Common Wight, which was quite friendly.

Plain Earl, basking at the bushes.

Vietnamese Banded Flat
 
Powdered Baron which flew in out of a sudden and when I tried to approach nearer, it flew off.
 
I was lucky when I decided to walk back to the waterfall to look for my husband and saw the Large Faun and Common Faun feeding on some fruits on the ground.
 

Large Faun

 
Quaker



Comments