Bukit Tinggi, Malaysia

I started exploring Bukit Tinggi recently whenever I am back in KL. Its been rewarding with some new butterflies that I have found.

 

Here are the highlights of some of the butterflies:

Malayan Jungle Glory
11 November 2022

Although I was initially hesitant to walk alone on the trail, my curiosity and love for butterflies compelled me to take a chance. I made sure to be cautious and not wander too far off.

As I walked slowly, I was amazed when a Jungle Glory butterfly suddenly flew out from the ground. I tried to track its flight path, but it disappeared from sight. Determined to find it, I decided to make one last round on the side trail. And to my delight, I finally spotted the butterfly resting beautifully on a dried leaf.

I approached the Jungle Glory butterfly with utmost care, trying not to startle it. It was so quiet and peaceful that it even flew to another spot, allowing me to take more photos. The experience was truly mesmerizing, and I felt fortunate to have witnessed such a beautiful butterfly in its natural habitat.



Smaller Nymph Wood
11 November 2022 
 
 

One of the most extraordinary encounters I had on my trip was with the Smaller Wood Nymph (Ideopsis gaura perakana). Earlier in the day, I had photographed this species from a distance above the trees. But just as I was about to take a break and head to the restroom, I spotted a beautiful Ideopsis butterfly feeding on the railings nearby.

The butterfly remained in the same area throughout the afternoon, flying and feeding around the same spot. I took the opportunity to capture all the photos I wanted, and I couldn't resist trying to lift it up. I approached the butterfly slowly, and to my surprise, it came up to my sweaty finger.

It was an incredible experience to be able to admire the butterfly up close and appreciate its beauty. I was filled with a sense of wonder and gratitude for this unforgettable encounter with the Smaller Wood Nymph.

 
 
 




 Glorious Begum
5 November 2022
 

As I was exploring the forested area, I caught sight of a butterfly that immediately caught my attention from a distance. It was the Glorious Begum (Agatasa calydonia), and its distinct features and stunning colors were absolutely mesmerizing. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to observe and photograph it up close.

However, due to my carelessness in placing my bag down, the butterfly flew away when it got distracted. Despite this, it was still an awesome sight, and I felt grateful for the opportunity to witness such a beautiful creature in its natural habitat.

 Thanks to Inaturalists for appreciating this photo and for sharing in their social media platforms! 
 


 Tailed Judy
23 October 2022 
I saw the Tailed Judy flew in when I was waiting for the Branded Yamfly to hopefully come lower down to the bushes.

Branded Yamfly
23 October 2022 

I had been hoping to catch a glimpse of the elusive Branded Yamfly, and my patience was finally rewarded as I was heading back to my car from the Botanical Garden. Although the butterfly was high up in the trees, I was fortunate to have my long lens with me that day, allowing me to capture some stunning shots despite the distance.

I waited for almost an hour, hoping that the butterfly would come down closer to me, but unfortunately, it remained high above the trees. Despite this, I was thrilled to have had the opportunity to witness such a beautiful and rare butterfly in its natural habitat, even if it was only through my camera lens.





Comments