Awesome capture of a mating Great Helen at Upper Peirce Reservoir, Singapore

It was two days after I returned from Ipoh that I discovered I had contracted Chikungunya.  Not exactly sure where I got bitten by the mosquito.  Initially, I thought it was in Ipoh but I found out later, that there had been some cluster of cases around Jurong West where I was out there a week before. The incubation period for this illness is 2-12 days, and lucky for me, the symptons did not start until I had enjoyed  my trip in Ipoh.

The illness started with joint pains and fever.  The doctor had advised to stay at home and rest.  Reluctantly, I refrained from any outings and rested. I spent most of the time organising all my photos and I guess it was a good time for me to slow down on my butterfly outings. After this experience, I realised that I ought to be more careful when I am out there in the forest. 

Nevertheless, after two weeks of rest, I was off to join Sifu Khew, Mei Yee, Jonathan and Aaron in Upper Peirce Reservoir, Singapore.  It was indeed a fun butterfly hunting time again and all the fears of the insects slowly faded after seeing the butterflies.

I was at the Reservoir early to enjoy the cool morning breeze and scenery of the reservoir before everyone arrived.

 


 

Sifu and the rest of the team arrived about 10am.  It was a long walk before we finally got to the forested are.

The first shot that I had was the Aberrant Oakblue (Arhopala abseus abseus). It was not a good shot but I am happy enough with this for now.

The highlight of this outing for the team was to see a few of the rare male and female Eliot's Cornelian (Deudorix elioti) seen flying around the palm tree fruits.  It was a pity that I forgot to take photos of the entire team standing on the platform waiting and shooting these little skittish butterflies that got everyone berserk especially Jonathan and Aaron.



We were all just waiting for opportunity shots for the Eliot's Cornelian to come down at lower level but it did not.

While walking around, I stumbled upon this beautiful pair of mating Great Helen (Papilio iswara iswara). It was just unexpected  but it was such great beautiful moments of seeing this mating pair.
 
It was a good and interesting outing at the Upper Pierce Reservoir. I was totally exhausted but happy indeed and look forward to going back there again.







Comments