In search of the White dragontail in Gua Tempurung, Perak, Malaysia

Due to some changes in travel plans, I arrived Gua Tempurung just before noon alone but happy as there was no pressure for me to rush anywhere else except to enjoy the whole afternoon in my butterfly shooting here in Gua Tempurung.

I had some help from sifu Khew on where I could find the White Dragontail.  Specific instructions were given and there I was, happily heading to the stream where the cave exit was until I was distracted by at least four Club Beak.

These little friends were skittish and indeed not easy target shots.  Not long later, came along the delightful Common Pierrot, Yamfly and Common Hedge Blue. The poor Yamfly had lost its tail and was not pristine but that was the first time I had the closest look of one.



After spending about 30 minutes here, I decided to move on to search for the White Dragontail.  When I got to the stream, I found some guys doing some excavation works. Thought best to come return later while I explore the other side of the cave exit first.

As I  walked towards the cave exit, I saw a Pysche trapped in a spider web.  I could not leave it there,  So I helped freed it. After thought of what I did....should I have freed the psyche? 
   

Without wasting anymore time, I quickly hurried passed the cave exit and came to an elevated platform where I saw lots of butterflies flying about.  I was lucky enough to see the Banded Peacock just after this bridge but sadly, my photos of the Banded Peacock were disappointing.


This is the elevated area where I had spent quite a long time here. The best moments were here where I had the chance to take good shots of the Tailed Jay and Common Jay.  And of course, my opportunity to practise proning, lesson number one of the sifu.  It was these moments of seeing the beauties that I got down quickly in mighty effort to practise my shots.  I understood now why photographers would go to any extent of enduring inconveniences to get that good shot of the flying jewel.  As the sifu puts it, "The rest of the environment will fade away".  Indeed, I became so oblivious to what others might think of me doing, ie proning clumsily and messily in such a way to take photos of the butterflies. 



The Blue Leaf and the Black Prince joined us too.




I was all covered in sand and mud but what the heck!  It was joyous moments as if nothing matters except the pretty flying jewels.  Although I did not have enough of them, I had to leave to look for the White Dragontail.  Just as I was leaving, a Little Map came along.  I was chasing it around a bit impatiently as I wanted to get to the stream.



When I got back to the stream, the guys were still working on the barrier for the stream.   I did not  see much hope in waiting for them to complete their work and leave soon, hence I just barged on to the gates where the water stream flows out.  I started chatting with the guys and asked them if they have seen any White Dragontail.  

This malay guy (forgotten his name), who works there, was really kind and started to help me look for the White Dragontail.  He spotted two of them. I was all excited and managed to get one reasonably clear shot.  It was not pristine, but it made my trip a worthwhile one as I was delighted to see such a lovely butterfly albeit with a missing tail.


I kept waiting and looking, hoping to see more but to no avail instead the Banded Marquis and Banded Yeoman came to say hello.  It was getting late and a good reminder from the sifu to call the day and head back to Teluk Intan for the night.


It was indeed a fruitful and marvelous day of butterfly hunt. I hope to be back again in Gua Tempurung soon, hopefully with sifu and the team the next time.



Comments